Wednesday 31 December 2014

How To create Mini Websites Using Front Page



How To Create Mini
Websites Using Front
Page In Sixty Minutes
Or Less!
By OKONKWO CHIGOZIE
INTRODUCTION
A lot of people still find it difficult to build their own mini websites. I've
come across lots of people who want to build their own websites but they
do not know how to go about it, so they end up paying big money to
others.
It's time to start saving your money. The truth is that it's very very easy to
create your mini sites. I'm going to show you in the next few pages how
easy it is. After going though this, you will be so equipped with all you
need to get started.
You will building your website in the next one hour! I'm so confident of
the power of the information I'm about to pass on to you right now.
Here are the tools we're going to be needing
- A domain name
- Front page software
- Web host account
The first thing you should do is to register a domain name. If you don't
know what a domain name is, it is simply the name of your website.
If your website is called http://www.you.com then your domain name is
you.com
Registering a domain name is a very easy thing to do, besides it is cheap to
do. A top level domain will cost you just about $8 a year. There are many
domain name registrars out there you can go to to register one. Check out
these two..
http://www.007names.com
http://www.namecheap.com
Make sure you register an easy to remember and easy to brand names.
That will give you a king of professionalism.
The next thing you should do is to register for a web host account. A web
host is a service that will “house” your website on the Internet so that the
whole world can see it when they type the name into their address bars.
You can register a for a decent web hosting account for $5 a month. You
can get a good host at these two companies.
http://www.hostgator.com
http://www.netfirms.com
One advise for you here. I'll suggest you buy a type of hosting account
where you can host multiple websites for just one price. The price will be
higher than $5 a month but it is well worth it.
Remember that you will be setting up multiple affiliate websites. It is
better than paying $5 every month for each website. You can even sign up
for a reseller hosting at hostgator.
After setting up your web hosting account, you need to go back to your
domain name account. You need to change your Domain Name Server
(DNS) to that of your web host to make them work together. It's very
simple to do.
Log into your domain name account. Look around and you will see where
you can change your DNS. Below is a screen capture of one of my domain
name accounts at 007names.com
Your web host will provide you with your new domain name server. Just
change the default one to the new one the web host provides and save.
You're now ready to set up your website.
It's time to design your website. This is pretty easy to do. I will show you
how to in the next few pages. Practice it and you should have it ready in
sixty minutes or less.
We will be using Microsoft Front page for our design. If you don't have it
on your computer please install one. You will be glad you did.
You don't have to spend too much money to get one. I bought mine on
ebay for just $17. Go to ebay and search for a bargain. Even if you get it
higher than what I got if for, it is still worth it as you will build unlimited
number of websites with it. The full 2003 version will suit you fine.
How To Set Up A Mini Site Using FrontPage
The first thing you should do is to power up frontpage on your computer.
Just click on start and look for it from the list of programs you've got.
You should have a page like the one below after you open it.
The next thing we should do is to create a new web. To do this, just click
on start, click on the file menu, point to New, and then click on Web.
See the image below.
We're done with the first hurdle.
A new window then pops up to you where you will have to choose from
different options. It asks you to choose what type of website you want to
create.
Frontpage provides you with different types of templates that will help you
design your websites easily but I suggest you stay away from them for
now. You don't need them for our aim here.
When the options come up, choose the first one called “One Page Web”.
The next thing is to name your site.
Although frontpage will assign names to all the websites you create but
you have to name them yourself to keep things organized. Remember you
will be building multiple websites over time.
Click in the box on the right hand side and move to the last part of the “file
path”... this is the part where you have the chance to name your website.
It usually looks like this...
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Webs\Oluwafisayo
I underlined the Oluwafisayo to show you where you can name your
website. Just clear the default name frontpage gives you.
Click on OK and you're back at the frontpage window you opened.
Before we go on, I want to show you something. I want you to click on
“Folder”.
Each time you need to check through your files, this is the quick way to do
it. It will give you a complete view of everything contained in your
website at a glance including pictures and sub folders. Try it out.
When you click “Folders” you will see a list of files which frontpage has
automatically created for you. One of such files is named “index”.
Every website online has an index page. When uploaded, an index page is
the page you will land on when you get to the first page of a website. It is
also known as “home page”. The name index is given to it as it is the only
name recognized by web servers.
The summary of my “story” is that the first page you always create must
be called index. Never forget this. Fortunately for us, frontpage
automatically names it index so we won't have much problems.
Designing your site from now on is as simple as ABC.
So just go ahead and type in “Welcome To My First Website”
Save it. Here is how to do that. Click File, then choose “Preview In
Browser” To see how your website looks, click “Preview” You should see
something like the screen below which is a fully functional webpage.
Notice that, the webpage you are designing, is now showing on a web
browser which means it is fully functional.
NEVER FORGET – each time I ask you to preview in a browser,
always save your work first or else, nothing will show in the browser.
Let’s add more designs.
The next thing we will do is to type a new line of text containing your
Business Name. Return to FrontPage and just hit the Enter key on your
keyboard once and type your business name.
I have done that on my screen. It is shown below. Next, I will add basic
formatting to my business name just to show you how things are done. I
will increase size, I will change colour, I will embolden, italicise and do
basic
alignments (i.e. change position of text on the screen).
I have typed out my business name BUT before I begin to show you
how to do all the things listed prior to that, let me show you around some
more.
1. The store house for different type face called font. This is where you
change the character type of the text you type
2. This is the place where you increase or decrease the size of your
characters. In website design, there are only 7 sizes. 1 being the smallest
and 7, the highest.
3. The B, is used for making bold. When you select a text, and click on it,
the text becomes bold – alternatively, when a bold text is selected and the
B,
clicked upon, the text goes back to normal.
4. This follows the pattern of the bold command BUT this time, things
don’t go bold, they get italicised.
5. Use this tool to underline your text
6. This is used to align your text to the right. Alignment is a term used for
positioning. You can make text to be on the right, left or centre of the page
depending on the look and feel, you want your design to present.
7. Aligns text to the centre of the page.
8. Aligns text to the right of the page.
9. Used to add a background shading to text. By clicking on the small
inverted
triangle by the side, you can actually choose varied colours with which to
work with. (You can see this in action in places where I have made
emphasis, even now, that’s what I have working)
10. This tools helps you change the colours of texts to the desired colours.
To try out these functions, simply select the text you wish to make look
different, then click on one or a combination of the options.
To select a text, hold down your left mouse button, then drag over the
desired text. When you’ve covered the desired text completely, release the
mouse button, then proceed to choose the option you want. I will do the
following to my business name now, just for you to see how it looks.
I will increase the character (text) size to 7, which is the maximum
I will align it to the centre of the page
I will change the colour to red with a yellow background
I will underline it
I will make it bold
Here’s what it looks like when I finished.
You can test how it looks in your web browser using the steps I showed
you earlier. Just turn the pages back if you don’t remember. Like I told you
at the start, this is really simple! As you can see for yourself, your website
is already taking shape.
Lets learn a little more tricks that makes things even more interesting.
If you look at the examples I showed you in the beginning of the manual,
you’ll notice that the pages all have a unique look that makes them very
beautiful and pleasant to look at. Striking also, is the colour which is
placed as a background on the page on which other things are built.
Your own page looks all white, so, lets tumble things around a little. You
will now learn how to add a background to the your webpage and with it,
make things quite attractive.
To do this, right click on any portion of the page. A pop-up menu like the
one in the picture to the right shows up.
Click the option “Page Properties”; it is circled for emphasis in the screen
shot.
A larger dialogue box is presented to you which looks like what you have
in the
screen shot directly below. From that dialogue box, select “Background”
The dialogue box now gives you a completely new set of options.
What we intend doing is to add a background colour, so we just scroll
move to the section that deals with the background, click the inverted
black triangle and make a colour choice (I will make a choice of light
green). When you are done selecting, click “OK” and that’s it!
That's how your site now looks.
Of course, you can add more information, by typing it in and arranging
them the way you want.
Ok – you have just learnt to create a web page and also learnt to do a few
tricks BUT our goal is not just for you to create a web page; our goal is
for you to create a web page that is a mini-site, which means contains only
1 to 3 pages, has the capacity to catch attention and pull profit.
What you have designed so far will hardly do that, so let’s get down and
learn some profit rules for building such a website. The one that looks like
what I showed you earlier.
Rule 1 – when you use a dark background, write with a light text
(character)
Rule 3 – Do all you can to blend colours and not to mis-match them.
Rule 3 –Never use the full screen for writing when building mini-sites. It
makes it difficult for the eye to follow what you have written and makes
reading a tedious task.
Enough of the rules for now. Rules 1 & 2 are simply enough to understand.
To achieve
Rule 3, you’ll need to learn a new trick. It is called working with Tables. A
Table is actually an enclosure into which things can be put and held. When
you use tables, you can easil keep things neat and set them the way you
want exactly. I'll show you soon.
So let's get back to building our mini site.
I'm going to rub off all we've been doing so we can build a clean mini site.
We're going to rebuild the site my partner and I use to sell this product at
http://www.firstaffiliatesale.com
The first thing I will do is to erase every thing I have written so far on the
page and have a clean slate (blank page).
Next, I add a blue background. (You can turn back the pages to see how
this is done).
I have this.
Now to make my mini-site quite attractive, I now add a table, I centre it, I
give it a background of white (remember what I told you about a light
colour on a dark background).
Notice carefully the settings I have chosen for creating my table (you can
go back to review creating tables) Notice especially the Width I have
chosen. I have it in pixels and I have chosen a size of 550.
I recommend not more than 650 for your mini-site. For this demonstration,
I will stick to 550pixels. I finish up by clicking OK and here’s what I have.
Oops.. things still look poor. Here’s what next I have to do.
I make the table have a background of white.
To do this, I Right Click in the table and choose Table Properties.
I choose a white background.
When done well, here's what you'll have.
So, I’ll just start adding the information for my product.
The first thing I put in, is a bold heading – centralised and in reading,
giving an instant catch about my product.
And here’s how it looks after I have added it.
I want you to take note that there is ample space between the blue edges on
the site and my texts. That makes it look decent. I did this by adjusting the
“Cell Padding” from the Table Properties. (I am sure you can find your
way to the table properties section).
See what I adjusted.
I chose Cell padding 10 and clicked OK.
Please always remember to save your work. Your first page to be saved as
index. We will be using just the first page at least for now.
So the above is basically how to create your mini site. Just keep adding
your contents and the page gets longer.
We won't over dwell on mini sites creation because we don't need to get
too fanciful for the purpose of just promoting affiliate products. We will
deal with only what we need for now.
You can find your way round FrontPage if you want to know more.
I want to quickly show you how to insert images/pictures because you will
be needing that skill. You'll know why soon.
So how do you insert images/pictures?
To add a picture, make sure your cursor (the blinking black line on the
page) is placed exactly where you want the picture to show up. That done,
go to the menu bar and click Insert, then Picture, From File as shown
below.
What I want to do now, is to bring in a picture from a file on my computer
which I have stored previously. When I follow the steps above, I am
presented with a screen like the one below;
To put in a picture, I click the icon that represents “Select A File On Your
Computer” which is what I have circled in the screen shot above.
Next, another dialogue box, requires you to select a file which you intend
to insert. (If you have created a graphic to serve as the header (the top
graphic on your page) or you want to insert a picture like I am about to do,
you will need to know where it is kept on your computer, then you need to
know the name of the picture. Once you have found it, just click on it and
what you’ll have is the picture inserted into your page.
Here’s what I got.
Simple, isn't it?
Like I said earlier, just play around and you will be a master at it in no
time. I didn't know it was this simple as well when I wanted to start.
Inserting Codes
This is another vital part of website creation. There are times when you
will want to generate opt in forms with the HTML codes your
autoresponder account provides for you.
Maybe you want to embed YouTube videos and you are provided with just
the HTML codes. How do you go about it on your website?
It's actually simple. Let's assume you want to generate an opt in form with
the HTML code your autoresponder service provides for you.
Copy everything in that box and go back to your website. I mean the FrontPage
web page on your computer.
Click on the spot where you want the form to be an make sure the cursor stops
and blinks there.
Then click on HTML. You will see it at the bottom left of your screen.
It then opens up a lot of codes for you. That is what you would have written
yourself if there is no software like frontpage. Something like this.
When you get to the codes, look for where your cursor is. It is blinking
somewhere. Paste the code you got from your autoresponder and click back to
normal.
Bingo! Your opt in form has been generated.
That is how you will be embedding your youtube videos as well and all the
other HTM codes you get from other places.
Creating New Pages
Creating a new page is as easy as creating the first page. The little difference is
that this time around, you will select a new page and not a new web.
The picture below explains it.
A new box now pops up. It looks like this. You chose normal page (that is the
default anyway) and click OK.
You can then carry on designing your page and adding contents.
Creating Hyperlinks
This is easy as well. To create a hyper link, highlight the text or image you
want to turn into a link, then click on insert on the menu and point to
hyperlink. See the image below.
You're then presented with a dialogue box that looks like this
If you want to link to a page within the website you have created, simply
click on the name out of the list you are presented with. In the image
above, how to order is chosen.
If you want to link yo an external website however, type in the URL of the
website you want to link to into the space provided for URL. You can then
specify your target frame as in maybe you want it to open in a new window in
the same window. Then click OK.
Uploading Your Site
The next thing is to learn how to upload your website onto cyberspace so
the whole world can see it when they type your domain name into their
web browser.
To do this, follow the simple steps below.
Click File, then Publish Web as depicted in the screen shot below.
You will be required for the location you wish to publish your website to.
Just type your website’s URL as shown the next screen shot. (I have typed
my website’s URL to show you how)
When you have correctly typed your website’s URL, click Publish. Next,
you will be prompted for your username and password (your web host
must have furnished you with both). Just type them in correctly and click
Publish to continue.
This shows that your files are being transferred to you hosting account.
Just hold on until it is complete.
The minute you get a confirmation that your files have been successfully
transferred, you can leap off your chair, give yourself a BIG hug and start
showing your website to the rest of the world.
HINT:
Publishing of your files will work only if you have an active Internet
connection. Also, be aware that sometimes after your files are published it
takes about 48hours before it starts being seen. This doesn’t mean that the
files are not transferred. It just means that they’ve not taken root.
This is more common with domain names though.
So that's it. You now have all the information you need to start churning
out your own mini sites.
Thank you.
Okonkwo Chigozie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe

Flickr